Burundi Kayanza Coffee Beans are sourced from the International Women's Coffee Alliance (IWCA) - a social organization focused on empowering women and producing better quality coffees in the participating regions. The Kayanza chapter consists of 127 members - 66 women and 61 men. Members are paid local market rate during the harvest season and receive another payment after the second harvest, helping to smooth out their income. If the coffees are sold at a premium by the IWCA, the members receive another disbursement based on the premium, providing an incentive for all members to produce the highest possible quality crop.
- Varietal: Primarily Bourbon
- Grade: FW 15+ (60% > 16 screen)
- Precipitation: 1800 - 1900 mm/year
- Temperature: 24 degrees Celsius (average)
- Soil: Sedimentary, Granitic, Quartzite, Schist
- Altitude: 1750 - 1780 meters above sea level
- Harvest: April - August
- Processing: Washed, Dried on Beds
- Aroma: Citric (lemon), Malt
- Flavor: Blackstrap Molasses, Chocolate (sweet), Lime Zest
- Body: Medium - Rich, Creamy
- Acidity: Bright
Price is for 1 lb (16 oz/454 grams) of whole bean coffee. Ground coffee goes stale quickly so we don’t bother offering it. Our coffee is carefully roasted and bagged to order. Please allow time for custom roasting.